Saturday, May 22, 2010

How to prepare soil for growing hibiscus in a tub/pot in kolkata?

I have a 20+ year old potted hibiscus, (pruned to grow as a tree). When I first potted it, I used a pot about twice the size of it's root ball, filled the bottom with several inches of gravel and then used a high quality potting soil mix. I have to re-pot it every few years and follow the same procedure each time. I also prune it every fall when I bring it in from the patio...(remember they are not winter hardy unless you have the "Rose of Sharon" variety. Mine is huge and very happy living in Miracle grow potting soil. Good luck


1 comment:

  1. Well Selina, its a year later, and I have a question. Hopefully you will see this and reply. I just bought my first hibiscus. All it says on the tag is Hibiscus. It has a braided trunk, and will grow 8 foot tall. I plan to keep it in the house because we have cold winters and I do not want the hassle of uprooting and replanting. My question is, How big of a pot will it need, and will it eventually need a large pot? If it will need a large pot, can I plant it now in the large pot? Do you fertilize yours? And is there anything else that I should know? Thanks so much in advance for any information that you could give me!

    ReplyDelete